Friday, September 22, 2017

Dr. & Mrs. John William McIlhany of Warrenton

From Fredericksburg, Virginia, we stopped by the quaint town of Warrenton. My third great-grandmother, Margaret Bispham Skinker (known as Madge), was brought up here, in the county of Fauquier. Her father, James Keith Skinker, owned an estate there called Huntley.

Madge married Dr. John William McIlhany at Huntley in February of 1861. He was born at "Milton Hall" on July 25, 1835, in Loudoun County, VA. He studied engineering at the Episcopal High School in Alexandria, and received the title of M.D. in 1860 at Richmond School of Medicine in Philadelphia. Dr. McIlhany served during the Civil War as a private in Mosby's Company D (a "Partisan Ranger") and later as a surgeon under Lt. General James Longstreet. His second child, John Milton McIlhany, is my great-great grandfather.


Thomas Keith Skinker, author of Samuel Skinker and His Descendants, includes a sentimental letter written by Dr. McIlhany to Madge from the field infirmary, Anderson's Division Artillery Battalion, on May 4, 1863. (See my last post, Fredericksburg, for parts of this letter referring to Capt. James Keith Boswell). Here are some indicators of who Dr. McIlhany was:


"Oh Madgie, no one can imagine my anxiety about you all, and how crazy I am to see you and our darling little pet, [their daughter, Rose] a sad heart I have. I really don't believe that I can stand it much longer. If it was not that I think I would be laughed at and ridiculed by every body, I would most undoubtedly go directly home; this awful war causes much trouble....I will write you every time I have an opportunity. Do I beg of you write to me often--Madgie remember how lonely I am way off here...Kiss the dear little pet many times for me; don't let her forget her papa. You don't know the pleasure it would give me to hear your sweet and familiar voice today....Madgie my dear Child, try and be in good spirits...Give quantities of love to all and accept more for your dear self--kiss little Rose many times...Do write soon, my lovely wife.
                                          Your ever devoted husband,
                                          J.W. McIlhany"


Dr. John William McIlhany (1835-1891)

Our first stop in Warrenton was, of course, the Warrenton Cemetery!

It was a privilege to pay my respects to my ancestor-grandparents: 
These are actually the same grave marker. Madge's name is on one side; John's is on the other. It lies very close to the resting place of Col. Mosby.



This cemetery is also delightfully full of Skinker relatives!


Hugh Garland Skinker would've been a cousin. He was a farmer, contractor, and cattle trader.

Julian Hampson Skinker was Garland's son. He studied law at George Washington University and was a Kappa Alpha. He served in WWI and later lived in Dallas, TX.
Julian & Evelyn Skinker

James Keith Skinker and Elizabeth Eyre Chambers were the parents of Madge Bispham Skinker McIlhany. They are my 4th great-grandparents.


Another Skinker buried here is William Keith, Madge's brother:


He was a private in the Black Horse cavalry, Company H, under Capt. William Payne, but mostly under J.E.B. Stuart. He fought in many battles, including First Manassas and Williamsburg. There is a great account of him in Skinker's book, including this tragic excerpt: "Survivor of many battles, William K. Skinker was killed May 27, 1918, on the Pignut Mountain side, less than half a mile from his own home, in a fall from his buggy. It is believed he died of heart failure. He was alone at the time." 
Private William Keith Skinker

Warrenton, VA is a wonderful little town full of history. We enjoyed a walk down its Main Street after our cemetery visit, and dined downtown. Because it was Sunday, many shops were closed; we look forward to returning when we can stay longer. 

It is an honor to be a descendant of the Skinker, McIlhany, Keith, and Bispham families. I felt like I belonged in Warrenton!









2 comments:

  1. Janet, This is Delmar Hepperly "delmarworks@yahoo.com" I hope you get this message. I am a 68 year old married lay monk and I have know since 1977 that I was James keith Boswell in a past life. Are photos side by side are stunning and we have the exact same eyes. I was in the army this life and made friends with all kinds of generals. I thought I was going to die at age 23 in Viet Nam but I was a sole surviving son and they pulled me out. My wife saw Boswells photo and she knew instantly it was me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome. My father has one of the copies of the McIlhany book and many artifacts brought from Scotland. According to the book the first McIlhany arrived in Virginia from Scotland in 1747.

    ReplyDelete